The classic red Christmas star is very well-known, but besides the classic red colours trending in December 2019 are also the modern pastel colours such as salmon, pink, lemon and apricot. These colours create an instant atmosphere for the holidays and beyond. We, at Finnflor, have gathered some more information about the Christmas star and some tips, which you can give to your customers!
The origin of the poinsettia (Christmas star)
Christmas star (its botanical name is Euphorbia pulcherrima, but the plant is also known as poinsettia) originally comes from Mexico and Central America. This is where it grows as an herbaceous shrub that can grow up to 4 meters high.
Choice assortment poinsettia (Christmas star)
Christmas Star is a ‘short day plant’ whose star-shaped screen turns colour when the days get shorter, which coincides nicely with the Christmas period in the northern hemisphere. The assortment is getting bigger and Christmas star is offered from mini and stem plant to hanging plant and shrub shape. The main colours are red and white, new colours such as lilac, salmon, cream- and two-coloured Christmas stars are on the rise. The screens are also more often decorated with glitter, paint or other decorative treatments. The appealing bracts give the plant unprecedented mood-enhancing options for the holidays.
Tips for customers
“How to take care of a Christmas star?” This is a question you might hear often in your flower shop. At Finnflor we have made a list of some tips to give to your customers:
- The Christmas star likes to be put in a place with enough light but not in direct sun light.
- The root ball may always be slightly moist.
- The plant cannot withstand drafts or very warm places. So, placing it above heating or right next to a crackling fire is not a good idea.
- Some plant food is very much appreciated by the Christmas star every two weeks.
- Does the leaf of the Christmas star turn yellow and does it fall off? Place the plant in a cooler and lighter place and increase the humidity, it will recover.
Poinsettia (Christmas star) for the holidays from Finnflor
The Finnflor team wishes you Hyvää joulua! If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. We will gladly answer all of your questions!